Sunday, June 26, 2011

That's the Way I Roll

Sitting here in my Nike tempo shorts is just too comfy. I'm supposed to be packing for orientation (YAY!), but right now I am simply basking in my day. It was one of the days you don't expect to be amazing, but it was amazing anyway!

My day started with oats in a jar.


While I love oatmeal, I ran out of steel-cut and had to use blueberry instant in my emptied jar of Dark Chocolate Dreams.

I bought this jar on Thursday. Don't judge.

Okay, you can judge, but it was DELICIOUS.

I also put in strawberries, blueberries, and strawberry yogurt. (In case you can't tell, I dig strawberries!) I wasn't wowed...maybe because it wasn't overnight? Maybe because it was just too much sugar for me in the morning? It was awfully sugary, even for me, and I'm a sugar fiend!

After this experiment, I think I'll stick to salty/savory flavors for breakfast, the most amazing meal of the day for me.

Speaking of amazing, I have two new features on my page! There is now a Races tab (where I can eagerly stare at the upcoming Walt Disney World Princess Half-Marathon in 2012), as well as a Blogroll! If you'd like to be added to the Blogroll, simply shoot me an email at adventureapril(at)gmail(dot)com. I love reading blogs and the best way to find gems sometimes is simply to ask nicely! That's a good rule for life, I think, too. Asking nicely never hurt anybody.

Today, on a whim, my mom and I decided to have a picnic at the local park. I love an excuse to lug a ton of food with me, so I packed the cooler with fruit salad for the two of us (blueberries, peaches, bananas, watermelon, and strawberries!) along with a regular salad for me with breaded chicken, cucumbers, cheddar, and honey-dijon dressing. Yes, that cooler was packed full and 95% of the food was for me.


(Baby carrots are hiding in my hip Mickey Mouse container.)

Hey, that's just the way I roll. =D

The park was crowded, but it was a nice ride down to the marina. There was a 50s-70s car show going on, so we got to look at all the cool vintage cars! My favorite was a VW Beetle, like this one:


We rode by quickly, keeping about a 9:30 pace (slight incline), and about 7:30 on the way back. Halfway through, we stopped to eat at a picnic bench!

(Take a photo! Of me! Of the bike! Of me...looking like a palm tree?!)



(Yes, that is my red helmet in the corner. Safety is sexy. Yes, I whip out cheesy quotes like nobody's business. But seriously, the Safety is Sexy campaign is a great movement, and you can find more info and swag here.)

After a quick stop at the bike shop to fix my flat, we headed home. It turns out that I rode 3.42 miles on a slow leak. I suspected that was why it was so hard to balance, but I didn't want to derail the picnic. I biked for 33 minutes to top everything off (and it was a MUCH smoother ride!) Today's total mileage was about 8.5 miles--my Garmin is charging, so all my data will be in this week's total.

I love biking, and that was my first long ride outside in over a year.

It's good to be back.

What's your favorite picnicking food?

Have you been biking lately?

2 comments:

  1. Oh yum! That OIAJ looks a lot like something I'd have with all the berries! But I agree, I'm not much of a sugar fiend so I'd probably have it with regular PB instead :D It looks like you had a wonderful day with your mom, everything looks great! Perfect summer day indeed :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. nike tempo shorts = heaven. I pretty much live in them.
    My favorite picnic food is german potato salad! So so so delicious. If you've never had it, it's a vinegar based potato salad with BACON. I use fake bacon now a days, but oh my goodness is it fabulous.
    I was biking a lot until I was banned from it because of my toe injury. Boohoo! I want to get back into it ASAP!

    ReplyDelete