Thursday, June 2, 2011

Scare Yourself

I'm a big believer in pushing myself out of my comfort zone.

That is...until I actually have to step out of it!

I've always been a little bit afraid of heights. Or more accurately, I've been afraid of falling. I've learned to enjoy the thrill of roller coasters, but one thing has always sent me shaking--views of cliffs and harnesses.

That's right: rock climbing.

My adventure the other day may not have been momentous as the rock climbing I've been eyeing on Expedition: Impossible, but it was an adventure nonetheless. At a local festival, I attempted the task of inflatable rock climbing:

Step 1:
Ditch the shoes! YOUR SHOES HOLD YOU BACK. Hmmm, well, that quite fits with all the reading I've done on barefoot running recently. (More on my running philosophy later this week.)

Step 2:
Strap on that harness!
There comes a time in life when you don't want anything to tie you down.
This is not one of those times.

Step 3:
CONQUER THAT INFLATABLE TIKI TOWER!

It was not easy. I attempted it once and only made it halfway up. But the second time, that tiki tower was mine! Take that!

Of course, I rewarded myself with some lovely, complimentary popcorn afterward.

Now I'm absolutely looking forward to experiencing indoor rock climbing at The Inner Wall this fall. I'm not quite ready for outdoor climbing yet....

After all, the very next day, I was shaking on a ladder as I put up yard decorations. I told myself that if I could make it up a tiki tower, I could certainly make it up to the third step of the ladder.

And I did.

Whether your fear is climbing the local mountain or stepping foot on a ladder, you can overcome it!

Happy adventuring!

No comments:

Post a Comment