Monday, June 13, 2011

Couldn't Wait for Weights!

Ten past midnight--it's officially Friday!

Lots of exciting events happened this week!

Monday was my first LONG RUN in about three months (thanks, dailymile!). Granted, "long" is twenty minutes for me now (and probably under two miles...my Garmin had died.) Still, it's a HUGE improvement when I had to stop after six minute intervals (and I could only run two segments of six, so it's a big deal!). I'm really pleased.

On Tuesday, I realized that the HIKING TRIP OF DOOM I signed up for departs on August 19th. That's just about two months away, and I know my muscles have been quite comfy being wimpy lately. I headed to the gym for a vigorous ride on the wonderful Expresso bike. Nothing beats a ride outside, but my area isn't the greatest for biking...so to the gym it was!

My weights workout took me about an hour. Everything is 12 reps, three sets:

Torso Rotation (30 lbs)
Seated Leg Curl (40 lbs)
Leg Extension (35 lbs)
Glute (or as I skillfully call it, the skip/push machine!) (45 lbs)
Seated Leg Press (40 lbs)
Fly (30 lbs)
Abdominal (30 lbs)
Row/rear Deltoid (30 lbs)
Shoulder Press (15 lbs)
Chest Press (15 lbs)
Triceps Press (30 lbs)

I was keeping track, and I starred the ones I had the hardest times with.

**Leg extension - (this machine was broken today, so I didn't try it...)
**Row/Rear Deltoid - I can't imagine what it must be like to row crew! Whoa. I kinda like this one, in a struggling, tough way.
*****Shoulder Press - HOLY COW. I only lifted fifteen lbs the first time, and I was struggling to maintain perfect form by the third set. Today was MUCH better, but it's clear that these muscles (and my arms in general) are a weak point.
**Chest Press - (Okay. Tough, but manageable.)
Triceps Press - The first day, the machine was busy, and that was enough excuse for me. My muscles were so tired. Today, I tackled that machine NO PROBLEM.

Today was fine, but on Tuesday, I was like...I have to do more of this?!


YIKES.

Muscles learn so quickly, though! I'm really amazed. I'm working my way up to 40 lbs (the size of the backpack I'll be carrying) by the end of July.

Wednesday I had a picnic in Central Park with friends. It was fantastic, and afterward we walked down to Times Square and through several stores. I might have picked up several items in Forever 21 (all for the good purpose of working out my arms, of course!). Hehe.

I came equipped with a whole wheat bagel thin topped with pb and banana,


and a bento box chock full of baby carrots, blueberries, and watermelon.


(Eating something in a pink container makes it cool, right?)

Today, I felt like quite the bad-a** with the weights. I dread lifting, but I know it's so good for me. There's nothing like pushing yourself! (Plus, I get to have an ice-cold glass of milk afterward, in the name of protein and fuel.)

I had a gigantic salad for dinner with romaine, corn, black beans, cantaloupe, cucumbers, pineapple salsa, and grilled asparagus.


(Note to self: next time--more cantaloupe, fewer cucumbers! They were a little bitter.)

While I had the grill out, I grilled a banana with crushed walnuts and cinnamon, and topped it off with honey. Delish!


Here's to a great weekend!

Monday: 15 min. swim + 20 min. run.
Tuesday: 50 min. bike (9.1 miles) + 60 min. weights
Wednesday: LOTS OF WALKING
Thursday: 30 min. bike + 60 min. weights, 60 min. recumbent bike
Friday: Rest!

Week's Total: 4 hours, 55 min.

What's the toughest strength workout for you? What are your favorite machines (and the most dreaded)?

2 comments:

  1. You're making me feel bad that I haven't run in months.

    *stares at running shoes*

    Go you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice workout!! Way to get back out there with running too. Hardest workout move for me is step ups. They are KILLER! My legs are always super sore when I do them. The only good thing a broken toe has done for me is prevent me from doing lunges and therefore no step ups!

    ReplyDelete