Saturday, July 9, 2011

What Writing Is....

The lovely Cat Hellisen over at Inarticulations posted about what writing is. I've been thinking lately about why I started blogging. Probably so I could have a reason to take even more delicious photos of food.
(Some great Thai in Chicago. I've been on a Chicago photo kick lately. Great city.)

Don't forget to photograph dessert, too!

(Cheesecake cake pop. Mmmm.)

Or maybe it was because all the cool cats were doing it, and I wanted to get in on the fun!


(Those are my friend's kittens. That kitten in the back corner is actually blogging. I. Know. He's so talented.)

Truth is, I love entertaining people. I don't hesitate to crack jokes and blurt out my life's story in person...so why not combine it with writing? I like to write novels, but I love the idea of writing for an audience in real time. It connects people in ways I never thought possible. I get to read slices of life from all over--Puerto Rico, Utah, Florida, and even in my own backyard, NYC. I probably would have never encountered these wonderful people without blogging. I'm a fiend for tracking my exercise, and I love to watch progress. And...I like to talk. Writing novels will always be my passion. There's nothing like finishing a draft and going, "Oh, thank goodness that's over," but blogging is an exciting aspect of writing that I wish I had discovered sooner.

As Cat said, the lows of writing novels (and the beast that is publishing) can be very low, and it's nice to have feedback from non-industry people. Now that I'm not working on the school newspaper, I need to keep my skills fresh. Blogging is a great way to do that.
What's writing to you? So as you all read this, I'm cooped up in the car! Hopefully rereading Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows right now...what's on your to-read list?

No comments:

Post a Comment