Sunday, April 10, 2011

How to Turn an Ordinary Day Into an Adventure

Today, by all means, should be BORING.

But it's not. It's an adventure. April 10, 2011 will never happen again and I plan to make the most of it.

My day is filled with homework, cleaning, and not the best weather ever. Life is life, and we all have to do things that are boring. I'm not very productive when things are boring, so I try to shake it up with a little ordinary adventure.

I may not be equipped with spelunking tools, and I may not be careening through rapids, but I'm adventuring anyway.

How can chores be an adventure? They're chores, after all (Choosing Hell Over Really Easy Stuff).

But when you think about it, isn't that adventure, too? Adventurers push themselves to their limits and explore even when they're tired. They take risks and venture into difficult places. Adventuring is not an easy path. I admire these guys:

(courtesy: Hans Strand, National Geographic)

We can't all explore new parts of the world every day. Adventuring has its place in ordinary life, too.

For starters, I turned my lunch break into a pizza parlor by making my own pizza and sides. Setting up a fancy restaurant setting just for yourself changes things up.

I booted up Pandora to find some traditional Russian music to listen to while I studied. Might as well immerse myself, right?

Keys to an Adventure:

-Switch up your setting. Do you normally work in the office? Move to a cozy corner of your house instead.
-Set the soundtrack with music.
-Approach your tasks differently. Work at a table instead of a desk. Flop on a beanbag chair instead of an office one.
-Open a window and let in some air! Adventure is never isolated.
-Remember to be open to doing things differently--if you always do things the same, it won't be an adventure!
-Wear a hat. This sounds silly, but when I'm working at home, it's sometimes hard to be focused when I'm wearing comfortable clothing. A hat or something similar (like a jacket) to remind you that you're in "work" mode is helpful when in a relaxed setting.
-Log off the internet. Lack of focus is dangerous for adventurers both home and abroad.

Happy adventuring! May your travels take you near and far, and may you always return home to a fluffy pillow.

No comments:

Post a Comment